Friday, June 13, 2008

The word Love: Does it mean anything to you?

Recently I came across a story that, to me, seemed to leap from the page and shout aloud about the true meaning of love. I have reproduced it here for us to have a rethink about this word that we have taken for granted for a long, long time.There was a young couple, Della and Jim, who were very much in love. Each had one unique possession. Della's hair was her glory. When she let it down it almost served her as her robe. Jim, on the other hand, had a gold watch which had come to him from his father and which was his pride.
It was the day before Christmas, and Della had exactly one dollar eighty seven cents to buy Jim a present. She did the only thing she could do. She went out and sold her hair for twenty dollars. And with the proceeds she bought a platinum fob for Jim's precious watch.

Jim came home at night, when he saw Della's shorn head he stopped as if stupefied. It was not that he did not like it or did not love her anymore. She was lovelier than ever. Slowly he handed her his gift. His gift was a set of expensive tortoise-shell combs and he had sold his gold watch to buy them for her.Each had given the other all he or she had to give. Real love cannot think of any other way to give.


This, I think, is the true meaning of love: Giving your best for the benefit of another person without asking what you'll get out of it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which grade did we read this in ? 3rd ? 4th ?

Shawie said...

I agree:) cute love story!

Anonymous said...

This is just one way. There are so many ways to show love. Moreover true love doesn't expect expensive things from each other at all times.

Selerines said...

@All : This post was posted by my friend Richard from Kenya.....

@Rachel : Ya i agree....

@Karthik : Actually what you are trying to ask man?

@Salamat : Thanx...

Rosilie said...

cute love story but i only had heart aches from the ones I had truly loved. So, I say, lucky are those who have found it. . . wish you will have happiness too in love my friend.tc always. hope to hear from you.

IJ Hanna Lucky said...

This is a Great Story I do agree with it,for me LOve is God and God is love... the Spirit of God gives us the Grace to love even as Christ loved the Church.
Thanks for dropping by my blog Selerines

Godbless you two in Jesus Mighty Name Amen

AMY LYNETTE said...

love... i got no idea.. im not interested in it yet..not yet..im still too young for it...i wanna enjoy my teenage and single life first.

Abas KS said...

Love..IMO, is...you really want to spend the rest of your life with the other person as your spouse which includes having children. Presents, gifts, money, & etc is normal stuff; tools to make each other happy. :-)

Anonymous said...

Karthik is saying that this is old story which came out when we all were studying 3th or maybe 4th grade.

Selerines said...

@Rosilie : Thanks friend.... I hope that those kind of things will never happen again in your life. I mean those heartaches...

@Linkin : But be careful da....

@A.I Editor : Nice one friend.... Bu true won't expect those things right?

@Rachel : Ya fine now i got it...

Abas KS said...

Hi, Shiva.

Yeah..probably just at the start. I guess it is normal for the female gender to demand presents every once in a while, I mean come on, they like pretty things..anyway I do buy presents for my lady.

Yandisa said...

Love? What is love really?

In the current times LOVE is just a passing to make wrong right and move. What are we really after?

We young, youthful. Some use LOVE to get something and guess when that word will come out again? mmm I wonder. LOVE does not exist.

?

lareine said...

so true!!! and if i may add, love is also going the extra mile, even when it is opposite the road we are suppose to take :)

Nika said...

I totally agree with you. :)

Template by - Abdul Munir - 2008